Inman UMC is a member church of the North Georgia Conference and is in the LaGrange District. The church was begun by early Fayette settlers near the Henry County line in the southern part of the county. In 1821, the land where the Inman community is located was in the Western edge of Henry County. Within a few months, the county line was moved and the land was located in Fayette County.
When Georgia had enough Methodist citizens to form a state conference in 1831, local churches were asked to secure a formal deed for their land and buildings. This congregation, known then as Liberty Chapel, registered its first official deed with Fayette County in 1832. There was already a church building in place. The congregation has relocated several times in the same area.
In 2000, the seventh building was dedicated as an educational and family life facility. The church is located on Hills Bridge Road, named for Elisha Hill who was registered as a trustee on the 1831 and 1849 deeds. Inman UMC is very involved in the annual Inman Farm Heritage Days, and hosts a worship service during that festival on the site of the 1849 log church. There is a historic cemetery that has been surveyed, with family ties documented for the dearly departed.
--Sara Jane Overstreet, Church Historian
For more history of our church click here. Inman UMC History